European Babo Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies

+24
cnikshutupforonceXD
Nath
Negative
Luna
Baboow
spaak
Deos
Geronimo
fear
Cinc
Adm
Gloom
raven
Google
Anette
Unreal
Crapper
fuazi
DavyJones
dad0
Martz
Sasha
cmnndr
Devil
28 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Movies

Post by Devil Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Double post! Twisted Evil
ha! some of you will probably turn and twist in your beds all night long just cause someone double posted Razz

Ok... so...

Shutter Island

Oh yeah... this is one movie that you ladies and gentlemen out there who enjoy a thriller with a heavy story, lots of twists, brilliant casting performance, some horror touches here and there (in the stile of Alfred Hitchcock) and a flick in which you Actually have to think for a bit, should Not miss!

Most of the review was covered by Martz, so there's not much more to add, besides my personl opinion.
Leonardo Dicaprio, once again pulls out an outstanding performance, and he's just...perfect for the part he plays, I can't imagine anyone else managing to pull out such a performance, and the rest of the crew was excelent throughout the whole movie.
The soundtrack might remind you of (again) of Alfred Hitchcock, and some of you might hate it or love it, but I'll tell you that by the end of the movie you'll just find it so very fitting for the movie Wink

To sum it up, Shutter Island is disturbing, brilliant and a must see for lovers of the genre and not only.
Devil
Devil
I am a Babo in real life!

Clan : V

Back to top Go down

Post by Devil Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm

Lol...

Forum admins, I guess you can go ahead and close/delete this topic. It seems our fellow players do not watch any movies and as much as I like reading my own reviews, it gets boring after a while Laughing

Oh, and to those who tried to participate, I salute you Wink
Devil
Devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:59 am

Fu Devil, we're not done here at all.
Ok, the movie: The Losers
Plot: A tale of double cross and revenge, centered upon the members of an elite U.S. Special Forces unit sent into the Bolivian jungle on a search and destroy mission. The team (Clay, Jensen, Roque, Pooch and Cougar) find themselves the target of a lethal betrayal instigated from inside by a powerful enemy known only as Max. Presumed dead, the group makes plans to even the score when they're joined by the mysterious Aisha, a beautiful operative with her own agenda. Working together, they must remain deep undercover while tracking the heavily-guarded Max, a ruthless man bent on embroiling the world in a new high-tech global war.

OK, the movie was good IMO, kept the pace, had some fairly interesting characters and ok actors. If you like movies with the sort of plot described here, watch it. If you plan on watching "The A-Team" when it's out in theaters, watch this one first. I haven't seen tThe A-Team movie but I think this one is better but only time will tell.

- Crapper.

PS. I have more reviews but, I forget to post them.

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Google Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 am

Devil, your topic is nice.
I saw Shutter Island and I really liked it, I've to say that I liked all the movies that Scorsese and Di Caprio made together, except "Gangs of New York": The Aviator and The Departed. Of course my favourite movie of Scorsese is Taxi Driver.. or maybe Raging Bull... or maybe both =)

About Stephen King's movies, my favourite one is Misery, I saw Misery 3 times and still I'm not able to keep my eyes open during the shot of Misery that uses the hammer on Paul Sheldon's ankles (arghhhhhh).

The last movies that I saw and I liked pretty much are "Departures" by Yojiro Takita (Japan) and "Le concert" by Radu Mihaileanu (Romania) and "No One Knows About Persian Cats" by Bahman Ghobadi (Iran). My english is really bad so I just copy for you the plot :

Le concert :
Thirty years ago, Andrei Simoniovich Filipov, the renowned conductor of the Bolshoi orchestra, was fired for hiring Jewish musicians. Now a mere cleaning man at the Bolshoi, he learns by accident that the Châtelet Theater in Paris invites the Bolshoi orchestra to play there. He decides to gather together his former musicians and to perform in Paris in the place of the current Bolshoi orchestra. As a solo violin player to accompany his old Jewish or Gypsy musicians he wants Anne-Marie Jacquet, a young virtuoso. If they all overcome the hardships ahead this very special concert will be a triumph.

Departures (original title : Okuribito) :
Daigo Kobayashi is a devoted cellist in an orchestra that has just been dissolved and now finds himself without a job. Daigo decides to move back to his old hometown with his wife to look for work and start over. He answers a classified ad entitled "Departures" thinking it is an advertisement for a travel agency only to discover that the job is actually for a "Nokanshi" or "encoffineer," a funeral professional who prepares deceased bodies for burial and entry into the next life. While his wife and others despise the job, Daigo takes a certain pride in his work and begins to perfect the art of "Nokanshi," acting as a gentle gatekeeper between life and death, between the departed and the family of the departed. The film follows his profound and sometimes comical journey with death as he uncovers the wonder, joy and meaning of life and living.

No One Knows About Persian Cats :
Iranian musicians Negar and Ashkan look for band members to play at a London concert ... and the visa that allows them to leave Tehran to do so

The last movies that I saw and I didn't like at all are :

Robin Hood by Ridley Scott : argh!!!! I know there are a lot of fans of Scott + Russel Crowe, and I've to admint that I liked "The Gladiator" and "American Gangster" and (but not so much) "Body of Lies". But, dudes, Robin Hood is a mega flop.

The Green Zone by Paul Greengrass (and Matt Damon) : the rough and boring copy of Bourne Trilogy

Chloe by Atom Egoyan (with Julianne Moore and Liam Neeson) : useless, predictable and a bit absurd. My Atom Egoyan my favourite movie is "The Sweet Hereafter".
Google
Google
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 am

Jennifers Body.
Ok, the movie didn't really recieve good reviews but although the bright ppl that post their thoughts about movies, thinking we all share the same opinion, thought it was mediocre at best, I found it to be a good movie.
Short synopsis: 2 girls who, has been frinds since they played in the sandbox, go to a concert in the small town where they live. The bar burns down and 1 of the girls is kidnapped by the band that played there. She returns later as a different person alltogether and things start getting out of hand as more and more ppl go missing. It's now up to the friend to find out what's going on (for the boys, you see Megan Fox tongue another girl so if nothing else, you have that to watch Twisted Evil )
Won't tell too much but the movie was (for me at least) worthwhile watching. It was funny at times, sad in some places and you get a few spooks along the way.

-Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Devil Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Hey, glad to see some movement here Razz

So I've seen "The Losers" and it was great by the way. It was just one of those movies you can enjoy on a quiet Sunday afternoon when you're just looking for some cool charaters and some neat action.
And yea, you were right, C "angle of the dangle" part was hilarious loolzz

@ Google: You seem to like movies with music or a musical touch. I haven't seen any of those you suggested, but the one movie I saw and liked enough to remember was "August Rush". Ever seen it?
And I was actually looking forward to see the new "Robin Hood" adaptation :/

Ok, now onto the last movie I saw ^^

City Island
-trailer here-

I started watching this movie with not really great expectations, but it so happened that it exceeded my expectations overal.
This is a movie about a man who works at a prison facility and secretely takes lesson to become an actor. While he has his secrets, his wife, and children have their own skeletons in the closet, and it seems that everyone is trying to live a "normal" life while hiding everything, but as with most secrets, they don't stay burried forever...

The main thing I want to point out at this comedy is the acting. The acting performance was superb, especially by Andy Garcia and Emily Mortimer, who really stepped out of the movie and became real life characters before my eyes.
The other thing is, the comedy. The comedy here seems to be real and true. The director makes it feel like part of life and not just put there for audience purpose.

It's been a while since I've seen a comedy with some more developed characters and some real life to it and I was most impressed by "City Island".
So if you're looking to have a few laughs and see some great acting, then sit down, and enjoy this little piece of life made into a movie ^^
Devil
Devil

Back to top Go down

Post by raven Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 am

I thought, as your friend I might give this a try Razz

Remember Me

Watched this movie last night, and damn, was pretty good! I reccomend it to everyone, I was expecting a love story from this, but hell no...it went out something really different. You might give it a try, was a bit skeptical because didn't like that much of the actor. At twilight he sucked real hard, so wasn't really expecting much of the movie...but hey, in my oppinion it worths the time, every second Wink

Plot: A romantic drama centered on two new lovers: Tyler (Robert Pattinson), whose parents have split in the wake of his brother's suicide(Michael), and Ally (Emilie de Ravin), who lives each day to the fullest since witnessing her mother's murder when she was 11. (basicly is that, but I'm gonna leave here the trailer so you can watch a bit more)

Remember Me Trailer
raven
raven

Clan : \v/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Alright so here is my addition to this movie base.

Taken

In my opinion its absolutely the best movie with kidnap and revenge theme. Main plot is focused on a retired (far from being retarded) special agent played by Liam Neeson, whose daughter is going to a trip to Paris. Obviously she is kidnapped during the trip, thats why her father have to use his skills to get her back.

I know that the same motive was used in many other movies but this is one of a kind. What makes this action movie so special You ask? To start with its how Neeson act as a main character. He is very self-controlled, he doesn't panic or waste time for cheeky lineups, instead he makes a plan how to save his daughter from the hopeless situation. Watching how he is trying to fullfil his plan is just amazing! He is desperate on getting her back and there is really nothing that could stop him from doing that.

Movie crew worked hard not to cross the line of absurd that is so common in nowadays action movies, which means that not everything will randomly blow up in this movie. I actually didn't realize when those 93 minutes passed while watching, this movie gets your attention from start till the end. (Don't count those first 10 minutes of the movie when their warming up Wink )

trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvUxdQ4q-Lg

Hope You enjoy watching!
Gloom
Gloom

Clan : Star Clan

Back to top Go down

Post by Google Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 am

Devil wrote:

@ Google: You seem to like movies with music or a musical touch. I haven't seen any of those you suggested, but the one movie I saw and liked enough to remember was "August Rush". Ever seen it?
And I was actually looking forward to see the new "Robin Hood" adaptation :/

Uhm, actually that was a coicidence (I mean, the fact that I spoke about 2 movies about music ^^).
I saw August Rush but I dind't really like it No

I want to suggest you a new movie that I saw last week : "El Secreto de Sus Ojos".
This movie won a Oscar (Best Foreign Language Film) and this is by Juan José Campanella, from Argentina.

Easy plot : In 1999, retired Argentinian federal justice agent Benjamín Espósito is writing a novel, using an old closed case as the source material. That case is the brutal rape and murder of Liliana Coloto. In addition to seeing the extreme grief of the victim's husband Ricardo Morales, Benjamín, his assistant Pablo Sandoval, and newly hired department chief Irene Menéndez-Hastings were personally affected by the case as Benjamín and Pablo tracked the killer, hence the reason why the unsatisfactory ending to the case has always bothered him.

I've to say this is not just a thriller (but also a thriller), it's also poetic and historic (military dictatorship in Argentina from betwwen 1970-1980)
Google
Google
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Back to top Go down

Post by raven Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:34 pm

@Gloom: One of the best definitly, Liam Neeson did a great job in it! A must see with no doubts Wink

@Google: How the hell did you not like August Rush?! Was pretty nice, don't like most of musical movies but this one was kinda special..

Alright, here we go..

I watched it a couple of hours ago..was with great expectations about this movie, thought it would be one of the greatest chaotic/apocalyptical movies. Sadly, it was all just part of my imagination. About special effects is damn great, it really turned into something it isn't..it gives you a total different idea of what the movie is! And a movie isn't just special effects afterall. I'm not really a John Cusack fan either. Who the hell was thinking in John Cusack to save the world. C'mon producers, you can do better than this, he is not definitly that great of an actor to represent a hero...he's more, I dunno..wrong career imo. But the rest of movie was acceptable Rolling Eyes

Plot: An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors. [John Cusack is the cataclysm they're talking about] Razz

Anyway, if you want to still give it a try...I'll leave trailer here..

2012 Trailer
raven
raven

Back to top Go down

Post by raven Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 am

Memento

Quite interesting this one, and quite old. Still it worths it, seems odd in the beginning but then it drags you in. I think it was a nice movie..

Plot: A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

Memento Trailer

Stardust

Wasn't expecting much of this movie to tell the truth, but then Dev told me he liked it and I should give it a try. I did and I don't regret it, if there's any fantasy/love movie you're searching for then this is the one..it's pretty cool imo..

Plot: In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm.

Stardust Trailer

Defiance

Okay, this one, didn't watch the trailer before so I wasn't really expecting anything from it. But after half an hour of the movie, it quite drags you, the actors did a great job! If you're looking for a fight 'till the end movie then this should fit you perfectly..

Plot: Jewish brothers in Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe escape into the Belarussian forests, where they join Russian resistance fighters and endeavor to build a village in order to protect themselves and about 1,000 Jewish non-combatants.

Defiance Trailer
raven
raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm

The Experiment:
First off I'm a horror fan. Blood spewing from bodily orifices, entrails hanging from a gutted stomach and corpse eyes gouged out and fed upon by zombies yaay, that's my genre so, setting in to watch this movie I had my doubts about it. As it turned out, I had made an error in thinking this movie was just another boring-release-straight-to-DVD movie.

Plot:
A bunch of people (all male) are drawn to partake in an experiment by the $1000/day they can get from it. They all go through some tests and some are chosen and others aren't.
They're told the experiment is to be done as if it was in a prison and upon arriving there a few are chosen as guards and the rest are inmates. From there on we see human nature at its rawest.
I won't disclose more of the movie but, I found it good although at times disturbing. Seeing as I normally watch horror movies which are just scares and... let's face it, something totally unreal, this one got to me.

Anyway, it's a remake of a german movie "Das Experiment" from 2001 based on true events.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0997152/

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Jackie Brown

Dope ass movie.Fuckin rocked.Peace.
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Devil Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:42 pm

@ Gloom: Yeah, Taken was really nice. One of the best action movies I've seen in the last years. Liam gives one hell of a performance. A must watch, imo.

@ Vince: Rofl, I share the same opinion with you about 2012. Good special effects, but weak story and acting. I won't ever understand why they chose John Cusack for this particular movie.

Defiance wasn't bad. It was interesting, even if just for knowing what some jewish people went through to survive and how they did it.
And Star Dust was pretty good too. It was a pretty relaxing, go-with-the-flow kind of movie and had some funny bits too. A nice family movie, with some shadow of romance hidden in between Smile

@ Crapper: The Experiment sure sounds interesting. Sounds like something that will mess with your head a bit and that intrigues me ^^ Will give it a try.

Inception

Well...
F u c k .
Just watch it.

Devil
Devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adm Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm

anyone seen Knowing?
Im just lazy
Adm
Adm
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Clan : Insomnia

Back to top Go down

Post by Google Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes I did.
The beginning of that movie isn't bad, but then that simply becomes ridiculous. You know, a nice start, a flop end... and I'm not sure that the first half an hour makes the movie at least decent.
In my opinion Nicolas Cage did few decent movies :
- Kick-Ass
- Face/Off
- The family man (maybe?)
Stop. I can guess why he busted up Suspect

Edit : I forgot Leaving Las Vegas Rolling Eyes
Google
Google
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinc Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Google wrote:In my opinion Nicolas Cage did few decent movies :
- Kick-Ass
- Face/Off
- The family man (maybe?)
Stop. I can guess why he busted up Suspect

Edit : I forgot Leaving Las Vegas Rolling Eyes

And you forgot City of Angels Razz
Cinc
Cinc
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Clan : >?<

Back to top Go down

Post by raven Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Knowing was okay, but could be much better...just after you see it, I know you'll think about it next time you be on a metro or in a plane Razz Razz

@Goog: You also forgot -
'Gone in Sixty Seconds' Razz Razz
'Next' wasn't bad imo
'Lord of war' bounce
raven
raven

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:49 pm

From the Nicholas Cage saga Rolling Eyes Wicker man That's a movie Wink
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anette Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:05 am

Admiral Thrawn wrote:anyone seen Knowing?
Im just lazy
No, but I have seen the new karate kid movie (kung fu kid) what a crap movie xD
Anette
Anette
Site Admin

http://insomnia.forumup.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adm Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 am

Anette wrote:
Admiral Thrawn wrote:anyone seen Knowing?
Im just lazy
No, but I have seen the new karate kid movie (kung fu kid) what a crap movie xD

Lol that was all I wanted to know Very Happy
Adm
Adm
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:27 am

Boondock saints 2:

If You are a fan of boondock saints 1 don't watch it... just don't. If your new to the series and want to waste 2 hours on sth then go ahead.

ps. Most of the actors from first part plays in the second, except amazing Willem Dafoe replaced with Julie Benz (Rita from Dexter seriees- omg?)
Not much to say about the movie they tried to simply copy the first part, and they managed to screw every aspect that was great in 1st movie.
Gloom
Gloom

Clan : Star Clan

Back to top Go down

Post by Google Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:48 am

Vincent wrote:

@Goog: You also forgot -
'Gone in Sixty Seconds' Razz Razz
'Next' wasn't bad imo
'Lord of war' bounce

Don't joke with me Evil or Very Mad

I also saw Karate Kid.... Will Smith's son is really cute *.* ! But aside from that I agree with Anette, moreover because this is just a botched copy of the original movie (that was kinda decent), I mean, the plot is exactly the same (except for the race of the charachters)... Suspect
Google
Google
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Back to top Go down

Post by fear Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Nicolas Cage is giving $2 million to help former child soldiers. Said Cage, "He's eight years old. He hasn't kissed a girl yet or fallen in love, but he's killed a man. What does that do to a child's mind?"

Answered a child soldier, "Almost as much damage as seeing your portrayal of Charlie in "Peggy Sue Got Married.'"

Jokes aside, Leaving Las Vegas is a deep movie with his great role. Others are something between "wannabe Chuck Norris with Seagulls (Steven) brains."

Now I want to present you a couple of movies I warmly recommend.

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
- in case you haven't know "fear and loathing" was my ign, later I decided to shorten it so now you know that you shouldn't be scared of me.

The story is is written and was published as a novel by a gonzo journalist H.S.Thompson. He and his friend (aka Samoan lawyer) fueled by a massive brain distortion with almost every drug known to man search desperately for the "American dream"... Two head roles Depp and Del Toro are just awesome and it's really great enjoyment to watch this. On and on, like me What a Face I think around 10-15 times I watched it, and it became a ritual for psychedelic parties at my place. drunken

The boat that rocked
Now this one is also awesome and again, not worth watching it only once. Dialogues, jokes, characters, soundtrack and every second fitted in this movie is just out of this world. An UK pirate (illegal) rock radio station is of shore and first thing you should do is volume up your speakers.

Among that both movies feature great soundtracks, late 60's rock music, psychedelic and just pure rock! one more thing is the same in both movies: it's the last scream for freedom. now farewell and godspeed
albino
fear
fear
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Clan : Free Bird

Back to top Go down

Post by Adm Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:51 am

Adm
Adm
Quality Poster.