European Babo Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse settings.

+4
Devil
cnik
Mnk
Crapper
8 posters

Go down

Mouse settings. Empty Mouse settings.

Post by Crapper Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 am

Calculated scalers Windows uses to control pointer speed.
1: 0.03125
2: 0.0625
3: 0.25
4: 0.5
5: 0.75
6: 1.
7: 1.5
8: 2.
9: 2.5
10: 3.
11: 3.5
To get the ideal setting, use notch 6, turn off enhance pointer precision, and use a No Acceleration patch such as the CPL mousefix (google this)

Many players put themselves at a big disadvantage. Windows has a slider for setting pointer speed, but that doesn't mean gamers should use it. The reason is that changing a setting here can in no way make up for the dpi (resolution in counts per inch) a mouse has or doesn't have. Increasing the pointer speed even one notch, will make your cursor skip pixels. Lowering the setting here, throws away dpi from the mouse forcing you to use a higher, less precise sensitivity.

USB ports run at default 125Hz, giving you 8ms of mouselag. Some mice come with drivers that make this figure higher (a higher polling rate). It can also be tewaked by you as a user by changing the usbport.sys file. Google for files containing the different Hz settings. Like stated 125Hz=8ms lag, 250=4ms, 500=2ms 1000=1ms. I don't recommend you use 1000hz it is twice the stress on your USB components for only a 1ms improvement in latency (vs 500hz). My mouse can be overclocked to 1000hz, but actually averages at 945hz. I can't tell the difference from 500hz, so I keep it on default. Try raising your average mouserate by overclocking, if you try 250hz and your average hz increase then try 500hz and if it doesn't increase much, you've probably hit the limit of your device and should stick with 250hz.
To check this use "mouserate checker" (google it). You want the update rate to be stable, that is to say, does not constantly vary wildly between different values when you are moving the mouse quickly at speed in the box. If you overclock you mouse and you get a series of update rates in the box like 125,250,125,250,... it means your mouse does not like it's new settings. Not only that, this may make you play worse, because the response time on the mouse is not being consistent.

For PS/2 ports, Start->Rightclick "My Computer"->Properties->Hardware Tab-> Device Manager->Look for "Mice and other pointing devices"->[+]->Rightclick "PS/2 Compatible Mouse"->Properties->Advanced Settings:
Sample rate: 200
Input Buffer Length: 200 (if you use a high sensitivity or a faster medium sensitivity)
Input Buffer Length: 300 (low or medium low sensitivity)
Click ok and reboot
You can also google "ps2 mouse adjuster"

For those with eg. razor or logitech mice, there are firmware updates for some of those on their website. It may enhance the mouse properties a bit or maybe even a lot. Those with ordinary no-brand mice might find some extra settings you can turn off by installing logitech drivers. Most of the settings in those drivers have some effect an almost any mouse.

This was just a fast post and if you want to do any of the above mentioned tweaks, remember you're doing it at your own risk. It's what I did to get consistency in Nexuiz but I figure it applies to BV also. Remember playing without pointer precision and acceleration takes a while to get used to. but give it a go and when you get good at it, you'll probably stay good at it.

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Mouse settings. Empty Re: Mouse settings.

Post by Mnk Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:01 am

How does a game handle mouse sensitivity compared to Windows?
Mnk
Mnk
Hello! I am a Hipster.

Clan : tCC

http://insomnia.forumup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cnik Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:57 am

Hm? Game doesn't handle sensitivity, it just receives new position of mouse from windows. As Crapper wrote, you can change sensitivity in system or driver settings.

cnik
First CAT Winner; Babo-Wan Kenobi

Clan : old whiny grumpy balls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mnk Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am

So changing the mouse sensitivity in a game (if it allows it) is not the same as changing it via Windows?
Mnk
Mnk
Hello! I am a Hipster.

Clan : tCC

http://insomnia.forumup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It depends on the scalers the game uses. If it uses the same as windows, it doesn't much matter where you change it, just remember if you set windows to 7 and the game to 7, it may multiply, giving you a mouse that's hard to control.
Most games have some way to control the mouse sensitivity but it's not actually the sensitivity you're fiddling with. It's more like a multiplier. Some players use scripts for this when they play to change the sensitivity based on what weapon they use. A script that has 3.5 multiplier for SMG or some other weapon with a high ROF and a script with 0 multiplier for sniping (just an example). I know it's used in CS by a great percentage of the players so they can change the speed of their cursor in-game without having to go into the settings.

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Devil Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

So since you took some effort into writing all of this and letting us know you're not actually cheating (joke btw), I'd like to give it a try.

My mouse slider was already on 6 but it does have the enhance pointer precision on.
I read about the CPL mousefix you mention, and most of the talk was about using it on XP, so I wanted to ask if w7 brought anything new that might change the need for that lil' registry change or if I should try it anyway.
Devil
Devil
I am a Babo in real life!
I am a Babo in real life!

Clan : V

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

An other question.
I can switch between 800dpi and 1800dpi
Which would u prefer with ur settings(windows slider on 6 and cpl)?!
Nova
Nova
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Clan : inFlamous

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:53 pm

<Devil>
I don't think anything has changed when it comes to mouse settings in Windows 7 vs. XP but, I do believe that the CPL mouse fix works on Windows 7. If not, I think some of the other Nex players use "SetPoint" (a LogiTech driver thingumajig) but I'll have to look into it.

<Nova>
I have the slider at 6, CPL mouse fix "installed" (in quotes seeing as it's not something you install but a reg. key) and my mouse set to 3600 DPI. The DPI decides how fast your mouse moves from one point to the other across your screen. Eg. 1800 DPI, move your mouse a hands with and the cursor moves ½ the screen. on 800 DPI, 1 hands with only moves the cursor approx. ¼ of the screen. This is only an example ofcource.
The higher you set it, the faster your mouse moves and the harder it can be to control it. I suggest you give it a go with the old "trial and error" method to find the setting that fits you the best.

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:04 am

Although we had our chats about this issue Crapp,this is a good and welcomed post Very Happy
The tweak of the hz is a nifty trick Wink and omg you play at 3600 dpi Surprised
But let me clarify one thing when you say "one hand with" what are you talking about?Maybe you meant "a hands witdh" but even so I don't fully understand,so get back and prove yourself. Cool BRAP!
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 am

Ty Carpper. Im just gonna try out what setting fits better study
Nova
Nova
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Clan : inFlamous

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 am

varlan wrote:Although we had our chats about this issue Crapp,this is a good and welcomed post Very Happy
The tweak of the hz is a nifty trick Wink and omg you play at 3600 dpi Surprised
But let me clarify one thing when you say "one hand with" what are you talking about?Maybe you meant "a hands witdh" but even so I don't fully understand,so get back and prove yourself. Cool BRAP!

Yes, I meant a width. Typo from me on that one but as I see, I'm not the only one Var Wink.
What I mean by a hands width is: Eg. your hand is 8cm across, move your mouse a hands with (8cm) and the cursor moves across ½ the screen horizontally with 1800 DPI as the setting but only moves across ¼ of the screen horizontally with 800 DPI as the setting (OFC just an example)

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 am

Witdh lol Embarassed haha.Thanks for the explanation Smile
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderBall Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 pm

1. 3600 DPI. Re3pect ;>.
2. Thanks for the effort Crapper to bring it all together, especially the calculations.
3. (For else) - don't expect wonders. Especially for the part "it takes a while to get used to". I tried the no-acceleration-fix and by no chance I could get used to it. More than that, I even reached an internal agreement that I do really like the acceleration indeed. Works for me at least, so not everyone can benefit from the change (as it does happen in CS, as I assume).
4. @ Nova - it has been tested for various mice and it's generally best to keep the default, aka "best", DPI of the mouse. I'm not quite sure whether it's better to change the pointer speed in Windows or the DPI of the mouse, but I am sure that changing mouse' DPI degrades its performance. But it differs for every mouse. I think I would go with a constant mouse DPI and changing Windows pointer speed.
5. What's really notable in this topic is that everyone can know the best DPI for him. Assuming he's going to buy a new mouse, or just for the pure knowledge. For example I play at 400 DPI mouse. And use Windows pointer speed 9. Multiplying that by 2.5, it seems that my perfect (Windows pointer speed 1.0) mouse should have DPI=1000. That means, I will never benefit from 3600 DPI mouse =P
Props!
ThunderBall
ThunderBall
Medium Babo
Medium Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, as to changing the pointer speed in windoes to more than 1 means that your mouse skips pixels and makes it less accurate. In a game like Babo, it's not that important I guess since babos are pretty large objects to aim at. As for CS I'm pretty sure it better with default (1.0) speed and a higher DPI just like it is in Nex.

<ThunderBall>
You should try, when you need to get a new mouse, buying one that has ~1000 DPI (I think they increase like 400-800-1200 and so on DPI) and use 1.0 in sensitivity. That way you have the same pointerspeed but without skipping any pixels which means better accuracy. As for the acceleration patch it doesn't decrease accuracy or anything. I just like to know that whenever I move the mouse to turn 180° I always turn that amount no matter how fast I move my mouse Smile.

And to all, thanks for the props.

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Reptillia Thu May 31, 2012 8:26 am

i have one question.
I have the slider at 9 in windows and i put on 2000dpi ,wich is max for mine mice,and i try to put on 1000report per second and on 500,dont see the difference. i play babo on 1600x1200 resolution on monitor display
Mine question is what report rate is beter to put 1000 or 500 or lower than that for beter mice performance?
Reptillia
Reptillia
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Clan : Joker Element

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 am

I have read that there isn't much diference between 500 and 1000 regarding performance. It is on the other hand a notable difference on the stress you put on the mouse and on the usb. Hmm... Not sure if I am understood or if I explain with acuracy what happenes, but let me make an analogy, maybe it's better.
Let's say we have two cars one has 200 horse power and fuel consumption of 10 l/100 km, now we want the other one to have 250 horse power, but in making it that powerful we would get a fuel consumption of 20 l/100km. That about sums it up. The ratios are not the same in each case, but I think you get my drift.

Personally I keep my mouse at 500 MHz.

Another thing, having your mouse slider in Windows at 9 will not give you a precise movement of the cursor. Sure, it's faster but it's less accurate then if you'd have it at 6. Smile
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reptillia Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 am

hm.. i try it on 6 and it is a bit slower, but i will play couple days on 6 to see how it will go and see wether mine aim get better ,need to uset to it. Smile and rps will put on 500.
thx!
Reptillia
Reptillia
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Clan : Joker Element

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 pm

I have 1920x1080 screen resolution, play babo at 1024x768, have my mouse set too 1600dpi. Used to play at 800x600 and 1600 seemed fastfast but I got used to it. Now it's just fine as it is. The thing is it's better to have a precise cursor than a faster one. And I think that in time ~ 1week or so, you'll feel the mouse like in the past. Just your aim will be more precise.

p.s. 2000dpi is too much for me, but maybe I'll give it a chance now that you reminded me of that Razz
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down