European Babo Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political bullshit

+9
FireBall
Oxygen
Anette
cmnndr
Gloom
Devil
Cinc
Negative
h8me
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Political bullshit Empty Political bullshit

Post by h8me Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:24 pm

So, we all know that Japan has been hit bad, that Hitler wasn't (for most people) all the fun he was cracked up to be and that Gadaffi isn't really a teddybear you can cuddle with. Some players are more touchy than others with these things but, today/-night as I was playing I saw players wanting another player to change his name.
The player in question was "tsunami" and he's had that name from when he started playing or at least as long as I can remember.
Now, I'm not saying that we should harass eachother with strange names but hasn't this gone on long enough? I mean if I change my name to "Wipe with the right hand" would Arabs and Indians come crashing down on me for that name? Also, seeing as we're a community gathered around a game... A GAME ffs can't we leave the rest outside and just play it?
I do get the fact that racial slurs and animosity towards other cultures shouldn't be tolerated but having a playername that can be read into? Should that be struck down upon as harsh as it has been lately?
"Devil" - You're a satanist. Offending the religions across all countries.
"Fly" - You're a dopehead. Telling the little kids that play it's OK to do drugs.
"Bitch" - Sure, it's OK to degrade the female gender.
[These players' names are just examples and should be viewed as such]
Ok, these are just examples of what could be viewed as offending to other players that enter a server but, do we ask them to change names? No, we've gotten used to them as well as we've gotten used to a lot of other names which is why I see no reason to ask people to change them, not even a player with the name Hitler.

So, as this is not a poll to actually change anything and not an effort on my part to make admins and players back off a bit I will say this. People that play on my servers or servers where I'm admin will not be asked to change name by me nor will they be banned for wearing "an inappropriate name". Racial remarks still won't be tolerated but as far as I'm concerned the "I'm-offended-by-your-name-change-it-or-I-call-an-admin-to-ban-you" shit ends here. Quit being whimps or leave the server. Last I counted there were enough of them for all of us.
h8me
h8me
I am a Babo in real life!

Clan : No thanks

http://www.mazzocco.dk

Back to top Go down

Political bullshit Empty Re: Political bullshit

Post by Negative Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

About time we have some drama here amirite? Political bullshit 71332804

Negative

Clan : \v/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinc Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

The problem here is where to draw a line. In your examples, I don't mind Devil having the nick "Devil", but if he started to promote satanism or something like that, I wouldn't hesitate to ban him (just an example dev Razz). Same thing if a player named "Bitch" started insulting the female gender. The problem comes when joke turns into seriousness. Again, I wouldn't mind a player named Tsunami, as long as he didn't promote anti-japanism or whatever it's called. The problem is not in the names, it's if the personality corresponds with the name. And in last couple of examples we had, that's exactly what happened.

Anyway, instead of arguing about player names, we should get sg back to original settings and disable zooka remote. (yes i had to mention it as it's been bugging me for a long time and i didn't wanna bump old topics Razz)
Cinc
Cinc
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Clan : >?<

Back to top Go down

Post by Devil Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Lol, seriously...

Some people are touchy when it comes to certain names, others are more tolerant or have a more opened mind/sense of humor, but there are certain names that are badly viewed in general. Where does one end and the other begin is hard to say and impossible to determine given that people are all different and come from different backgrounds/cultures.

I am tolerable about seeing nicks such as Hitler (or Saddam, for that matter), Kurwa, Bitch or whatever and as far as I'm concerned if the name is all there is to it, they can keep it as long as it doesn't turn into something else. The same would go for Tsunami. However, if it would have been something like "TsunamiHitsJapan" - I wouldn't be so tolerable about it, since it's clearly offensive (just to give an example)

It's totally understandable though, if some people are more offended by some nicks than others, but there's not much that can be done about that, or there will be no freedom whatsoever.
People have their own reasons to why they have a nick. It might be meaningful or not, and it may be in the traditional meaning or not. But in any case, I guess it's up to every admin to decide which nicks he finds offensive or not, and to hear/pleed to the complains of others.

Devil
Devil

Clan : V

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm

h8me wrote: Also, seeing as we're a community gathered around a game... A GAME ffs can't we leave the rest outside and just play it?
Uhm no we can't because its that community that makes most of us still playing this free small game thats not even developed. Its about community members to form the shape of this community wether we make it friendly and supportive or full of dickheads like it happened in NA at some point.
Babo community unwritten rules usually created by reasonable ppl useing common sense, makes it hard for most of the players to leave babo for good, because they obviously miss sth more then just shooting rooling balls.

For example You Crapper if You would be in this game only for the game not the community aspect, why would You create another account instead of just roaming servers and leave this forum after all the previous drama ^

@ political political correctness regarding player names - I never noticed any euro admin being oversensitive about it. Like in example you gave, no euro admin would harass player by the name of "Tsunami" if they would do then You would have valid point.

Natzi stuff is another case thou, I can't and won't be indifferent when some players are ignorant or simply foolish useing nazi nicknames. I'm tired off all the nazi propaganda in most online games I played. Warcraft/starcraft maps with swastika symbols, online shooters dedicated servers with nazi names... therefore I feel its important to try to keep at least this community free of those stuff.

If You want to open nazi club on your server its up to You, but I'm not sure what do You want to achieve by splitting the community standards like that.
Gloom
Gloom

Clan : Star Clan

Back to top Go down

Post by h8me Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 am

Gloom wrote:If You want to open nazi club on your server its up to You, but I'm not sure what do You want to achieve by splitting the community standards like that.

Either I formulated it badly or you misunderstood what I was trying to get across. I'm not trying to split the community or have servers where everything goes and no holds are barred. Neither will I allow servers that are "full of dickheads" as you so eloquently put it but banning people or go to a server, where players are complaining about a nickname, to make that player change his name is also something I won't do.
Like I said earlier I still won't tolerate racism and although it wasn't specifically implied I won't have nazi remarks or other inappropriate probaganda on the servers.
If that didn't come across clearly enough in the first post, I hope I've rectified that misunderstanding with this one.

As for my account here on the forum, if an admin would set a new pass and send it in a PM to this account, I'll gladly use the other one again. It was simply to change name and had nothing to do with any drama on the forum.
h8me
h8me

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 am

You're awesome C. Couldn't have said it better myself.
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anette Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 am

So was it admins wanting the guy to change his name, or just random ppl?

and I doubt you didn't know about this thread tbh Razz https://eurobabo.forumotion.com/t555-want-to-change-name-on-forum

One account per person ought to be enough, I think everybody knows who you are on this account and that you want ppl to "hate u" ^^
Anette
Anette
Site Admin

Clan : Insomnia

http://insomnia.forumup.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by h8me Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 am

Anette wrote:So was it admins wanting the guy to change his name, or just random ppl?

First off it was 1 person but soon others joined the fray. What happened in short was the one guy getting more players riled up so that tsunami had to more or less fend for himself. Problem is that if an admin was called to the server chances are that tsunami would be asked to change his name because the majority of the players suddenly found it offending (based on 1 players view) or get kicked/banned from the server. We all know that if the players don't get what they want from one admin they'll wait a bit and call another, at least that's what I've seen happen a few times.

@Gloom: "...leave the rest outside and just play it?" I didn't mean that everything should be allowed and that everyone should wear blinders when it comes to the world as a whole or it's political situations.
h8me
h8me

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 am

h8me wrote:We all know that if the players don't get what they want from one admin they'll wait a bit and call another, at least that's what I've seen happen a few times..
Sadly I have to agree with You about that practice I know I wouldn't ban him furthermore I would tell ppl to lay off him, since I already made a lot of unpopular decisions I don't care about the "public pressure". Anyways this practice can't be avoided since even with clear rules how admins should act in certain situations there is always room for their own interpretation..

If You don't want to split community by somehow proving your point on your servers, creating free-zone for dickheads, then I missunderstood You sry.
Gloom
Gloom

Clan : Star Clan

Back to top Go down

Post by h8me Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 am

Gloom wrote:If You don't want to split community by somehow proving your point on your servers, creating free-zone for dickheads, then I missunderstood You sry.

Nothing to be sry for G, let's just chalk it up to a misunderstanding between us. All I was trying to achieve was a little awareness sorrounding the subject and hopefully a bit more tolerance from the community and admins (although I may have stated something that could be percieved in other ways in the first post).
h8me
h8me

Back to top Go down

Post by Anette Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

I personally wouldn't ban for that, nor do I think any of the admins (wilk admins at least) would either.
To me it sounds like some kids just picking on someone without any real reason, good old bullies.

Dunno why ppl act like this but tbh I think you cannot avoid it, since this game is for all ages.
Anette
Anette
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxygen Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Players who wear nicknames of Nazism, or even as a dictator Kadhafi or calling names to troll like tsunami must be warned. How? Request to change their nickname. BUT, asking that, we made insult.

With me and with all possible arguments, if the guy does not change the nick, I ban him directly without notice.

And then what? Is that in real life we displays nonsense same? No. Why? Because it's punishable by law.

Why not do it on a network game? I don't know.

Personally I am extremely upset. If I meet a guy so stupid in life, it may be dangerous, lol.
Oxygen
Oxygen
Spamming Babo
Spamming Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by FireBall Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I agree that this is an exaggeration. We would end up forbidding all sorts of cool nicknames. Now just an example: Terrorists use claymore explosives to kill all the fish in the ocean. Next day some player goes to Claymore and tells him to change his nickname.

Besides what has already been said about admins in general, feuds between admins tend to make things even more complicated in the community. I guess this is unavoidable since most of us are part of different clans. And it certainly won't make it easier for us to come up with a solid set of rules which we will all respect. The only solution I see is having a higher authority to regulate matters. Of course this person would have to be impartial but still familiar with the community.
Back when I used to play Counter-Strike like a maniac, I was part of an admin team on the most respected servers in Romania, we also had Starcraft, Quake3A and Half-Life servers so you can imagine how big the community was. The situation was similar in the sense that the admins were part of different clans. The difference was that we had a boss. This higher authority (who happened to be the provider of these servers) had the idea to create an actual admin TEAM called s9 so that we would feel more like what we were supposed to be, A TEAM. I guess this cannot be done in the current context but it's a shame because some stability would be very healthy for this community.
FireBall
FireBall

http://wsclan.heavenforum.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by h8me Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

FireBall wrote:I guess this cannot be done in the current context but it's a shame because some stability would be very healthy for this community.

True indeed.
Actually I just reread the entire thread just to see what people had written (so far nothing personal or any drama so that's at least some good news Smile ) and I for one am willing to make all the pordesign/websnooker admins admins on my servers as well in the hopes that it'll bring more unison to the servers and that the players can't just run off to another server and feel safe there.
Ok, a bit off the original topic maybe but I think it's still in the ballpark at least
h8me
h8me

Back to top Go down

Post by Anette Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 am

@Oxygen, do you honestly think the name "Tsunami" is bad? thats like being called "earth-quake" or "volcano". If you don't see the difference between saying Hitler was an awesome dude, and the name "Tsunami" then instead of telling people to change their name, you should call and admin.
Anette
Anette
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reptillia Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 am

Pls some1 delete this topic,this is all crap-no hard feelings,ok.. baseball bat
Reptillia
Reptillia
Babo Spam-a-lot
Babo Spam-a-lot

Clan : Joker Element

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 am

They are players who make a sentence in their nick voluntarily to reach some people.

For example :Gaddafi win France Die (have screen of that but not on me right now)

A sentence like this means more like a simple word.

Killer
Killer
Spamming Babo
Spamming Babo

Clan : .wS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxygen Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

Anette wrote:@Oxygen, do you honestly think the name "Tsunami" is bad? thats like being called "earth-quake" or "volcano". If you don't see the difference between saying Hitler was an awesome dude, and the name "Tsunami" then instead of telling people to change their name, you should call and admin.
I do not know why I took the example of a tsunami because it does not shock me.
I already saw his nickname before the tsunami.

The name of Claymore does not shock me at all, like Devil, Saddam etc. .. because it goes well names that goes very well with the game ffs is babo violent.

But to see Kaddhafi as a pseudo is provateur and nasty, like Hitler, right?

Especially when they say that Hitler was a good person and that Kadhafi will kill Francia with many enormities, I can't tolerate this.
Oxygen
Oxygen
Spamming Babo
Spamming Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Omg you french woosies just stop with this already...

Oxygen wrote:
Especially when they say that Hitler was a good person and that Kadhafi will kill Francia with many enormities, I can't tolerate this.

Cause it's just a game. I'm curious what reaction would, many of those who say stuff like this, have IRL. Like Reptilia said, close this topic Very Happy
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinc Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:20 pm

varlan wrote:Omg you french woosies just stop with this already...

Oxygen wrote:

Cause it's just a game. I'm curious what reaction would, many of those who say stuff like this, have IRL. Like Reptilia said, close this topic Very Happy

You realize that a line has to be drawn somewhere? Ofc, you don't because nobody ever drew a line to your foul mouth even though they should have.
Cinc
Cinc
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by fuazi Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

much ado about nothing
am i the only one who doesn't care about nicknames at all?
fuazi
fuazi
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Clan : sex, violence, and good mood

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

fuazi wrote:am i the only one who doesn't care about nicknames at all?

No.
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinc Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:38 pm

So nicknames like "Adolf Hitler" or "Gaddafi wins, kill all France" or "Murder all bitchez" is perfectly fine with you?
Cinc
Cinc
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by cmnndr Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

"France wins, kill all libians" or "Death to Ghadafi" I guess is fine since there are no libians that play this game.

Last edited by varlan on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmnndr
cmnndr
Quality Poster.
Quality Poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next